Servings: 6 / Prep Time: 15min/ Cook Time: 45mins
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups (700g) butternut, peeled and diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (5ml) vegetable spice
- 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) seasoned sea salt
- ¼ tsp (1¼ml) freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- Grated zest and juice of orange
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream
- Butternut crisps, to garnish
- Orange zest, to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC
- Toss the onion, butternut and apple with the vegetable spice and olive oil. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes Remove from the oven and stir in the flour, curry powder, cumin, seasoned sea salt and nutmeg, blending them with the vegetables.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to the boil. Add orange zest and juice and roasted vegetables. Simmer slowly for 10minutes. Blend the soup with a hand-held blender or in a food processor. Add the cream and check seasoning
- To serve, scoop the soup into bowls and garnish with butternut crisps and orange zest.
To make butternut crisps, use a potato peeler to shave off long strips of butternut. Deep-fry until crisp using olive oil and drain on paper towel.