This recipe makes around 12 medium-size flapjacks
- 1 carrot - grated
- 1 potato - grated
- 1 sweet potato - grated
- ½ butternut - grated
- 2 baby marrows - grated
- ½ cup cooked corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2ml nutmeg
- 2ml ginger
- 45ml cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 5ml lemon juice
- 1 egg - beaten
- Crisp fried bacon pieces (optional)
- Cooking oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Mix all the veggies together.
- Press the fluid out to get the mixture as dry as possible.
- Flavour with salt and pepper and the spices.Add the cake flour, baking powder, lemon juice and beaten egg to the mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the optional crispy bacon.
- If the mixture is too sloppy, add a bit more flour.
- Make flat cakes the size of a hamburger patty.Brown the flapjacks in a little oil.Place it on a baking tray and bake for around 12 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
This could be served as a light meal with a cheese or mushroom sauce and a green salad.
You can also make the flapjacks smaller and have it as a snack. ( If it is smaller you only need to bake it for 4-6 minutes.)
If you have some discretionary calorie in your budget, serve the veggie flapjack as a snack with the following dip:
- 150 ml Nestlé dessert cream (small tin)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup chutney
Mix all the ingredients together and chill for at least 30 minutes. Serve with veggie flapjacks, veggie sticks or even baked chicken or battered fish.