Personalized Nutrition for the Diverse Needs of Infants and Children

Editor(s): D.M. Bier, J.B. German, B. Lönnerdal NNI Workshop Series (NNIW) vol. 62 , 2008

Summary

With the completion of the human genome sequence just a few years ago, it is most interesting to note that 99.9% of the genetic information is similar in all humans; it is the remaining 0.1% that varies and which makes each of us individual. Epigenetic studies have demonstrated that variation in nutrient requirements depends upon individual variations in genes which can affect nutrient metabolism. It was in this context, that the 62nd Nestlé Nutrition Workshop was dedicated to ‘Personalized Nutrition for the Diverse Needs of Infants and Children’ and took place in Helsinki, Finland, on September 2--6, 2007.

ARTICLES
  • Foreword

    Author(s): F. Haschke, P. Klassen,

    With the completion of the human genome sequence just a few years ago, it is most interesting to note that 99.9% of the genetic information is similar in all humans; it is the remaining 0.1% that varies and which makes each of us
    individual. Epigenetic studies have demonstrated that variation in nutrient requirements depends upon individual variations in genes which can affect nutrient metabolism. It was in this context, that the 62nd Nestlé Nutrition Workshop was dedicated to ‘Personalized Nutrition for the Diverse Needs of Infants and Children’ and took place in Helsinki, Finland, on September 2–6, 2007.

    Close abstract
    View full text PDF